Sunday, January 6, 2013

#6
I'm old fashioned. I still love to receive Christmas cards in the mail. 
I relish walking to the black metal mailbox at the end of my driveway 
for the envelopes with our name and address and the stamp
in the upper right hand corner. 
The overwhelming favorite stamp this year was the orange-colored one
with the Holy Family,
Mary on the donkey with the Star up in the clouds.
But there were also reindeer, ornaments, and Raphael's Madonna and Child.

After Christmas, I lovingly put away all the ornaments and festive decor,
while Jerry takes the white pine tree outside, ready for recycling,
and every year, as always,
I sit quietly and re-read all of our Christmas cards and letters,
and place them in a pile and store them in a box.
catherinenglish 1-06-13

No comments:

Post a Comment